The Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting an Clinical Microbiologist / Virologist (M/F) for the Department of Microbiology full time position (40h/week) with a permanent contract.
About the Laboratoire national de santé (LNS) and the Department of Microbiology
The “Laboratoire national de santé” (LNS) is a public institution under the supervision of the ministry of Health in Luxembourg. Organised as a multidisciplinary institute and supported by a professional services team, the LNS includes four scientific departments in the fields of medical biology, microbiology, forensic medicine and health protection, in addition to hosting the National Center of Pathology and the National Center of Genetics.
The LNS has its recent premises in Dudelange, with state of the art, modern infrastructure in line with recent developments in medical sciences.
Its objective is to develop scientific and analytical expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis and monitoring of human diseases. Its ultimate mission is to serve patients and citizens to deliver excellence in healthcare.
The department of Microbiology at the LNS is progressive, dynamic, innovative and housed in purpose built, state of the art facilities of the highest standards. The department offers a large range of technical equipment, including a Maldi-Tof, a SIRSCAN, a complete molecular biology platform including NGS facilities and a dedicated BSL level three laboratory.
The LNS operates in a multidisciplinary and international scientific environment, including mainly the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB – http://wwwde.uni.lu/lcsb) as well as the Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH – https://www.lih.lu). Participation in research is actively encouraged and the post-holder will be supported in developing as a clinical leader.
The department is subdivided into three units:
- Bacteriology, Mycology, Antibiotic Stewardship, and Infection Prevention and Control
- Virology and Serology
- Microbial Genomics and Epidemiology
The LNS is now seeking a forward-looking Clinical Microbiologist for the unit of Virology and Serology. The candidate will provide clinical leadership in microbiology, enhance liaison with the hospitals in Luxembourg, further develop laboratory capacity and, within the context of a multidisciplinary team, participate in international and national monitoring networks and research.
- Direct supervision of diagnostic methods and examination of specimens in the Virology Direct supervision of diagnostic methods and examination of specimens in the Virology and serology unit
- Authorization and interpretation of results and its communication to the prescribers, the candidate will join a clinical services rota of 1:2, and act as first point of contact (via the ‘On duty phone line’) for all laboratory interpretation and clinical queries
- To foster and promote close links to all LNS departments ensuring a good working relationship so that the microbiology department can continue to offer the best possible service
- The development of clinical liaison with the main hospitals in Luxembourg and thus create new synergies and build key client relationships
- Participate in the LNS surveillance responsibilities at European level
RESEARCH AND EDUCATION
- Liaison with the stakeholders in health research in Luxembourg and actively participate in research
- Participation in Microbiology education program at the University of Luxembourg
MANAGEMENT AND AUDIT
- The appointee will be expected to participate in multidisciplinary clinical audit and quality improvement projects, and in the implementation of an ongoing clinical audit/ quality Improvement program within the department
- Business planning, including the assessment and introduction of new methods, and forward planning for staff and equipment requirements
- To promote a progressive, responsive, and problem-solving atmosphere within the department and to seek to constantly improve the service being offered
- Achieving and maintaining full accreditation (ISO 15189) and expanding its scope into infectious serology, Molecular microbiology and microbial genomics
- Quality assurance performance within the department, including taking part in all relevant National External Quality Assurance (NEQAS) programs
The above list is not exhaustive and further tasks could be added according to the needs of the department. Successful candidates will be offered a competitive salary, depending on qualification and experience.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- The candidate will be a Clinical Microbiologist / Virologist or Infectious diseases specialists with a background of Medical Doctor and eligible to obtain a license to practice (autorisation d’excercer) in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (http://sante.public.lu/fr/professions/professions-medecin/medecin-generaliste-specialiste/index.html)
- Excellent command of English is required and fluency in either of the national languages (French, German or Luxembourgish)
- Proven experience in team management, decision making and ability to focus on priorities
- Team player filling a role in the Leadership team
- Able to coach and motivate employees
- Attaching great importance to the daily service provided to patients
If you meet the above profile and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees).
Your application will be treated confidentiality.