The Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting an Clinical Scientist ( Virology) (M/F) for the Department Health Mycrobiology a full time position (40h/week) with a permanent contract.
The “Laboratoire national de santé” (LNS) is a public institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Health in Luxembourg. LNS is organized as a multidisciplinary institute and supported by a professional services team, the LNS includes four scientific departments in the fields of medical biology, microbiology, forensic medicine, and health protection, in addition to hosting the National Center of Pathology and the National Center of Genetics. The LNS is based at Dudelange, with state of the art, modern infrastructure in line with recent developments in medical sciences. Its objective is to develop scientific and analytical expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis, and monitoring of human diseases. Its ultimate mission is to serve patients and citizens and offer excellence in health care.
The Department of Microbiology offers reference laboratory activities in partnership with various other public and private laboratories in the country. The department is nominated as National Reference Laboratory for Acute Respiratory Infections. At the same time, it works closely together with the Ministry of Health and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).
The department established Microbial genomics (MicroGen) platform to support its clinical diagnostic and surveillance activities, it provides next generation sequencing sevices of different pathogens including SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza viruses. This post is created to expand the expertise in the virology field and widen the portfolio of the platform.
The clinical scientist provides a high level of scientific and technical support to the development of new techniques in Microbiology. The Clinical scientist will work under the general supervision of the head of the department. The successful candidate will participate in the department projects to widening the testing manual and co-ordinate innovative projects in the field of Virology. You will also participate in the ongoing research and international collaborative projects and offered the opportunity to apply for funding for research projects. We are looking for highly motivated and creative partner with an interest in developing state-of-the-art molecular techniques.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate a high level of technical skill and intellectual rigor and be able to cope with multiple and changing demands in a fast paced and unpredictable environment.
- A PhD degree in Microbiology or molecular biology
- At least 7 years experience in laboratory setting
- Good Laboratory skills in next generation sequencing (e.g. Illumina platform), Experience with PCR (including design of primers)
- Demonstrated well-developed technical skills and problem-solving capability to troubleshoot experimental procedures
- Experience in project management and potential to lead collaborative projects nationally and internationally
- Good organizational skills including time management and an ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to contribute to the organisational development of the department
- Participation in scientific publication in peer review journals in the field of microbial genomics
- Track record of establishing next generation protocols in Virology
- Experience in Research setting
- Understanding of the quality management systems in the laboratory setting.
- Experience in Bioinformatics analysis
- Experience in molecular epidemiology
- Experience in working in reference laboratories in clinical Virology
- Developing and applying Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies in clinical virology
- Excellent command of English is required and fluency in either of the national languages (French, German or Luxembourgish)
- Optimizing technical protocols, operating procedures and automation of the assays
- Optimizing existing methods and developing new ones i.e. “in-house protocols”
- Active Participation in the development and maintenance of the quality system based on (ISO 15189)
- Planning, troubleshooting & hands on execution of sequencing experiments
- Validating the quality of the NGS runs in the medical reporting system
- Participating in external quality control trials
- Training of the technicians and supervision of students
The above list is not exhaustive and further tasks could be added according to the needs of the department.
If you meet the above profile and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees).
Your application will be treated confidentiality.