INDOOR MICROBIOLOGY – EXPERIENCED TECHNICAL LAB RESPONSIBLE (PHD) (M/F)
Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting an Experienced Technical Responsible – Indoor Microbiology (PhD) (m/f).
For the Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’ (Department Health Protection) in a full time position (40h/week) with a permanent contract starting at the earliest convenience.
About the Laboratoire national de santé (LNS) and the Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’:
The « Laboratoire national de santé » (LNS) is a public institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Health in Luxembourg. Organised as a multidisciplinary institute and supported by a professional services team, the LNS includes four scientific departments in the fields of medical biology, microbiology, forensic medicine and health protection, in addition to hosting the National Center of Pathology and the National Center of Genetics. The LNS has its new premises in Dudelange, with state of the art, modern infrastructure in line with recent developments in medical sciences. Its objective is to develop scientific and analytical expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis and monitoring of human diseases. Its ultimate mission is to serve patients and citizens and offer excellence in health care.
The Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’ has strong expertise in indoor pollution, occupational hygiene and human biomonitoring. For indoor pollution, the Unit is in charge of the national surveillance programs in Luxembourg, as authorized by the Ministry of Health. This includes that, if a medical doctor suspects a potential link with the indoor environment during patient consultation, the medical doctor can write a medical prescription for on-site investigations in the patient’s house. After authorization by the Ministry of Health, the Department Health Protection goes to the patient’s house to take the samples (sampling of air, dust and building materials, as well as human samples including for example urine and blood). Samples are then brought to the Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’ for analysis in the laboratory. Apart from patient’s houses, the Unit is also in charge of indoor investigations in schools, day-care facilities and public buildings, such as hospitals and government administrations. In this context, and apart from the on-site investigations and laboratory analyses, the Unit also closely assist its clients by providing counselling and working together towards solutions.
Until now, the Unit has been focusing exclusively on chemical substances that are harmful for human health, such as volatile organic compounds, phthalates, metals,…. At the request of the Ministry of Health, the Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’ will now set-up a service in mould analyses and this according to the state-of-the art guidelines that are in place internationally. More specifically, the Unit will add the investigation of moulds to each of the on-site investigations in the patients’ houses as well as for pathologies suspect of being caused or aggravated by moulds in the other settings.
As a technical responsible/ PhD scientist, you will set up a service for the analyses of moulds in the indoor environment, and this as an activity within the Unit ‘Environmental Hygiene and Human Biological Monitoring’. Therefore, you will:
- Set-up a completely new facility and the subsequent services for indoor microbiological risk assessment. Budgets for infrastructure and equipment have been attributed from 2021 onward, as well as the budget for the recruitment of one technician who will work under your supervision.
- Develop sampling strategies in line with international practice and recommendations (e.g. ISO 16000);
- Develop the moulds analysis work in the laboratory and, in a further stage, supervise and validate the work as carried out by the technician(s);
- Accredit the new activity of moulds (ISO17025:2017);
- Be in charge of the daily maintenances and problem solving related to the the moulds activity, for example the microscopes, RT-PCR,…;
- Collaborate with the DNA-sequencing platform in LNS for genotyping purposes;
- Participate in and further enhance the national and international networks in the field;
- Set-up research projects to support the continuous excellence towards the patients and population.
This list of tasks should not be considered exhaustive. Missions may vary depending on the specific needs of the Unit.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS
- A PhD in biology, microbiology, biochemistry or a related field, with specialization in the monitoring of toxic or pathogenic fungi in indoor (domestic and/or occupational) environment;
- In-depth knowledge of different methods of fungal communities characterization (microscopy, genomics and/or metagenomics);
- Knowledge of other analytical techniques (e.g. LC-MS for mycotoxins analysis) is considered an asset;
- Experience in the method development for fungal communities characterization, preferentially in the field of environmental (or occupational) health. Preferentially experience of more than 5 years, including track record and publications;
- In-depth knowledge of the ISO17025:2017, and, preferentially, working experience in an accredited laboratory ISO 17025 ;
- Experience in the identification of the sources of exposure in the indoor environment, with a special interest for the emerging sources of exposure, is considered as an asset;
- A perfect fluency in English (oral and written);
- Working proficiency in French and/or German is necessary. If not present at application, proof of working proficiency in one of the languages is to be delivered within one year after recruitment; Working proficiency is Luxembourgish is considered as an asset.
- Strong organizational skills and structured way of working;
- Pro-active personality who wants “to let it happen and makes it happen”;
- Strong analytical thinking;
- Excellent team working skills;
- Result and client oriented mindset;
- Ability to generate the necessary information from the working context to report to and interact with upper management levels and supporting services.
- A highly competitive salary
- A dynamic unit in full expansion and developing new activities at request of its stakeholders
- An international and multidisciplinary environment
- Continuous training possibilities
If you meet the above profile requirements and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees) through the application button below.
Applications will be processed in order of arrival. The utmost confidentiality will be granted to each application.