The Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting a Technical officer (Virology) (M/F) for the Department of Microbiology a full time position (40h/week) with a permanent contract.
About the Laboratoire national de santé (LNS) and the Department of Microbiology
The “Laboratoire national de santé” (LNS) is a public institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Health in Luxembourg. LNS is organized as a multidisciplinary institute and supported by a professional services team, the LNS includes four scientific departments in the fields of medical biology, microbiology, forensic medicine, and health protection, in addition to hosting the National Center of Pathology and the National Center of Genetics. The LNS is based at Dudelange, with state of the art, modern infrastructure in line with recent developments in medical sciences. Its objective is to develop scientific and analytical expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis, and monitoring of human diseases. Its ultimate mission is to serve patients and citizens and offer excellence in health care.
The Department of Microbiology offers reference laboratory activities in partnership with various other public and private laboratories in the country. The department is nominated as National Reference Laboratory for Acute Respiratory Infections. At the same time, it works closely together with the Ministry of Health and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) on epidemiological matters, as well as the National Service for Infectious Diseases as far as diagnostics is concerned.
The Technical Officer provides a high level of technical and operational support to the development of new techniques in Microbiology. The technical officer will work under the general supervision of the head of the department and assigned to the virology services led by Dr. Trung Nguyen. The candidate will participate in the department projects to widening the testing manual and coordinate innovative projects in the field of Virology. You will also participate in the ongoing research and international collaborative projects.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate a high level of technical skill and intellectual rigor and be able to cope with multiple and changing demands in a fast paced and unpredictable environment.
- A Master’s degree in molecular biology
- At least 5 years experience in laboratory setting
- Good Laboratory skills in Molecular biology techniques (e.g. RT-PCR)
- Demonstrated well-developed technical skills and problem-solving capability to troubleshoot experimental procedures
- Understanding of the basics of project management and potential to lead collaborative projects nationally and internationally
- Good organizational skills including time management and an ability to prioritize work
- Excellent command of English is required and fluency in either of the national languages (French, German or Luxembourgish)
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to contribute to the organisational development of the department
- Basic background in sequencing analysis
- Experience in Research setting
- Understanding of the quality management systems in the laboratory setting
- Participation in scientific publication in peer review journals
- Plan and organise the required experiments for the validation of new techniques in the department of microbiology.
- Undertake general laboratory duties such as preparing solutions, materials and equipment as per protocol drafted by the head of department.
- Liaise with the units to identify the need for new techniques and offer the necessary training for the implementation.
- Carry out minor maintenance on equipment and ensure all equipment faults are repaired with minimum down-time.
- Assist other technical staff as required, and undertake other assigned duties.
- Active Participation in the development and maintenance of the quality system based on (ISO 15189).
The above list is not exhaustive and further tasks could be added according to the needs of the department.
If you meet the above profile and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees).
Your application will be treated confidentiality.