Senior Legal Counsel (m/f)
Publiée le 17/01/2022
- Droit / Juridique
Senior Legal Counsel
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
In early 2019, Northern Trust established a European Bank, Northern Trust Global Services SE (NTGS SE), headquartered in Luxembourg to service Northern Trust’s rapidly growing Continental European client base. In addition to the headquarters, NTGS SE has branches throughout Continental Europe, and in a number of other non-EU locations.
Senior Legal Counsel is a key member of the Continental Europe Legal Department, playing a pivotal role in providing legal counsel to business stakeholders and the leadership teams in Luxembourg and broader Continental Europe, where NTGS SE’s primary businesses include fund administration, custody and depositary services.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Act as one of the key and most senior lawyers providing advice to Luxembourg internal clients, including the Executive Committee of NTGS SE and branch leadership teams
- Review and negotiate asset servicing contracts, including on boarding documentation and product specific agreements such as master custody, depositary and fund administration agreements, and ancillary agreements relating to reporting, regulatory and cash products and services
- Review and negotiate ad hoc legal documentation such as parental guarantees, non-disclosure agreements, service level agreements, powers of attorney, and vendor agreements
- Ensure agreements and ancillary documentation entered into with clients and third parties accord with current regulatory requirements and NTGS SE’s risk parameters
- Advise business and compliance teams in respect of: existing and new products and services (to be) offered to clients in Continental Europe, regulatory matters and developments, and cross border licensing issues
- General project work, including regulatory change projects and new market/product development
- Interact with other corporate functions, such as compliance, risk and finance, in relation to ad hoc regulatory requests, internal audits, and ongoing monitoring of systems, policies and procedures
- Instruct and liaise with external counsel, as necessary, and review and analyse advice and opinions from external counsel
- Manage legal risk having regard for, amongst other things, regulatory change, good corporate governance and operating structures
- Active participation in forums and committees, for example, in relation to new business and outsourcing arrangements
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Experience working in the fund services industry in Luxembourg, with a strong knowledge of the regulatory framework in connection with both (i) the provision of fund administration and depositary services in Luxembourg, and (ii) the day to day operation of a Luxembourg bank regulated by the CSSF and ECB
- Knowledge of market driven and industry standard terms and conditions in connection with fund services documentation and agreements across a range of fund types (SIF, SICAV, FCP, REIF)
- Excellent contract negotiation skills across a range of fund products and services and in connection with a range of fund types, with experience negotiating with external clients (both funds and their managers) and their appointed external counsel
- When required, the ideal candidate should be flexible enough to help provide legal department support to the branches of NTGS SE, specifically in Switzerland and the Netherlands, and primarily in support of UCITS and AIF fund launches
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and the ability to prioritise and work to set deadlines within a challenging environment
- Strong commercial/pragmatic sense and understanding of business needs
- The ability to analyse complex legal issues and explain outcomes in plain English
- Fluency in French would be an advantage, but is not essential
- The successful candidate must be qualified as a lawyer in an EU jurisdiction, preferably Luxembourg
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
As Northern Trust is a financial organisation, all new employees will be required to undergo a criminal record check.