Research support technician
The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) is an interdisciplinary research center of the University of Luxembourg. We conduct fundamental and translational research in the field of Systems Biology and Biomedicine – in the lab, in the clinic and in silico. We focus on neurodegenerative processes and are especially interested in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and their contributing factors.
The LCSB recruits talented scientists from various disciplines: computer scientists, mathematicians, biologists, chemists, engineers, physicists, and clinicians from more than 50 countries currently work at the LCSB. We excel because we are truly interdisciplinary and together, we contribute to science and society.
Successful candidates will join the Genomics platform, led by Dr Rashi Halder, which offers next-generation sequencing and single-cell sequencing services.
You will be responsible for the daily lab operations in the platform, including customer interactions, samples collection, quality control of the sequencing samples, construction of sequencing libraries, operating sequencing instruments and ordering lab supplies.
Important technical competencies and tasks includes, but not limited to:
- Library preparation for next generation sequencing (NGS), both manually and with a robotic system
- Performing sequencing runs on Illumina and Oxford Nanopore instruments
- Optimization and testing new protocols including the single cell NGS sample preparations
- Troubleshooting of technical problems in the sample preparation and sequencing workflows
- Customer support would include communication (telephone and e-mail) and interaction with researchers
- Keeping record of projects in a well-organized electronic lab notebook
What we expect from you…
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree (or equivalent) with wet lab experience, preferably in NGS
- High reliability and precision in work is very important as samples are usually low volume and non-replaceable
- Ability to multi-task as several different sequencing projects run in parallel at any given time
- Good organizational skills and willingness to work independently with little guidance or supervision
- Basic computer skills are necessary to complete the NGS data storage and delivery
- Attention to details is important, like accurate data entry and sample handling
- Communication in English is essential, both written and spoken
Here’s what awaits you at the LCSB...
- Excellent work environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, laboratory and administrative support
- Truly connected. We work together with hospitals and research institutes on a national and international level as well as industrial partners. Connection between science and society is very important to us. From our school lab – the Scienteens Lab – to the different outreach activities and collaborative partnerships with patient associations, we love to listen to society’s needs and share our passion for science
- Be part of a multicultural team. At the LCSB we have more than 50 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Contract type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Internal title: Research support technician
- Job reference: UOL05727
How to apply...
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Cover letter indicating your motivation for this position, relevant past experience and future interests
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR)
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …