Full Professor or Associate Professor (promotion track) of School Management and Development
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be a world-class research university. It strives for excellence in both fundamental and applied research, and in education. It drives innovation for society, has a high proportion of graduate students, and intertwines research, teaching and societal impact.
The University of Luxembourg has the profile of a research university with a strong activity in research, a high proportion of doctoral candidates and success in internationally competitive third-party funding, combined with excellent research-driven teaching throughout the University. The University has three missions: research, higher education and contribution to the social, cultural and economic development of the country.
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The faculty’s research and teaching focuses on social, economic, political and educational issues with the common goal of contributing to an inclusive, open and resourceful society. The FHSE offers 7 Bachelor and 20 Master degrees and a doctoral school providing students with the necessary knowledge and high-qualified skills to succeed in their future career.
The holder of the position will be a member of the Department of Education and Social Work within the Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences.
She/he is expected to:
- Develop and maintain research activities—with national embedding and of (inter)national relevance—explicitly focusing on school management and school development in fundamental education ( pedagogical leadership, organisational management and change management, implementation of educational policies on the ground, quality development and assurance, communication and collaboration, professional competencies and continuing professional development, data and assessment literacy), possibly including the leveraging of digital opportunities (, collaborative technologies), thus identifying and (further) developing best practices that can feed back into both teacher training and the school system;
- Exercise leadership internally and externally both in their field of knowledge and, as a leading educationist, apply their general knowledge and skills as a researcher and scholar;
- Develop and sustain the scale and quality of teaching and learning in the full range of the Faculty’s study programmes in Education;
- Undertake tutoring and internship supervision of BScE and BFP students, and engage with national education actors and stakeholders;
- Undertake doctoral and post-doctoral supervision and mentoring, further contributing to the development of doctoral education and training; and
- Undertake leadership roles that ensure that the Faculty further strengthens its position as a leading European multicultural and multilingual site of research and teaching in the field of educational and social sciences.
The holder will mainly be teaching in the Bachelor en Sciences de l’Education the new Bachelor en Formation Pédagogique and the new Master in School Management and Development (Master en Gestion et Développement des Ecoles).
She/he will also lead the new Master in School Management and Development (Master en Gestion et Développement des Ecoles).
What we expect from you…
- PhD in educational sciences or a closely related field (a multi/interdisciplinary research profile is particularly welcome);
- A minimum of five years of postdoctoral experience acquired in a university or comparable research centre (teaching and/or school management and development experience in a fundamental education setting is an advantage);
- An outstanding research record in educational and social sciences;
- International research and teaching experience (teaching experience in basic training and/or specialisation programmes for fundamental school teachers is an advantage);
- Proven ability to acquire research funds and conduct cross-national research projects;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Luxembourg’s multilingual educational system and its actors is considered an advantage;
- Willingness to engage in teamwork in teaching and research groups; and
- Ability to work autonomously.
The University of Luxembourg is set in a multilingual context. The person hired on this position must be proficient in French and German and have a good working knowledge of English.
- Contract type: CDI - this position is offered at the Full Professor or Associate Professor level, depending on qualification. Both levels are tenured. At the Associate Professor level, a possibility of promotion will be given after 5 years upon positive evaluation.
- Work Hours: Full Time Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: F3-50019904
The University of Luxembourg is committed to achieving gender parity among its academic staff and aims to eliminate obstacles to recruitment of female professors and their career development. Should candidates present equivalent CVs, preference will be given to female candidates in all departments where gender parity is not yet achieved.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunities employer.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic ;High-quality ;Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour ;A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …