Postdoctoral Researcher in Sociology
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The faculty’s research and teaching focuses on social, economic, political and educational issues with the common goal of contributing to an inclusive, open and resourceful society. The FHSE offers six Bachelor and twenty Master degrees and a doctoral school providing students with the necessary knowledge and high-qualified skills to succeed in their future career.
The researcher will be a member of the Youth Research Group, a dynamic team of researchers working on different aspects of young people's lives from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The primary responsibilities of this position include conducting and leading qualitative and quantitative research as part of the EvaH - (Evaluation Homework Support) research project.
The core of the project is the evaluation of the program "Hausaufgabenhellëf" launched by the Luxembourg government. The evaluation focuses in particular on the opportunities and challenges described by the participants of the program in dealing with the different instruments/elements of homework support, as well as on the desired cooperation mechanisms.
The evaluation was commissioned by the Observatory for Childhood and Adolescence and has a duration of 24 months. The evaluation will focus on conducting focus groups and an online survey with various participant groups. Thus, this is a mixed-methods project.
The researcher will be a member of the Centre for Childhood and Youth Research (CCY) within the Department of Social Sciences. The CCY consists of a multidisciplinary research team that studies the conditions and opportunity structures of growing up in the context of social change and inequalities. It maintains close links with other institutes and relevant organizations within and outside the department, both nationally and internationally.
- Conducting and leading qualitative and quantitative research in a 24-month mixed-methods project (evaluation homework support)
- Preparation, implementation and evaluation of focus groups with different groups of respondents
- Planning and implementation of a broad-based written survey / online survey and its analysis
- Conduct and publish research in the area of evaluation research, on educational inequality, or other relevant topics
- Participate in policy-relevant analyses and disseminate findings to stakeholders
- Participating in and presenting at relevant national and international conferences
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders inside and outside the university
What we expect from you…
- PhD in a relevant field ( sociology, pedagogy, educational sciences)
- Relevant (post)doctoral work and/or research experience
- Experience with qualitative research methods, especially qualitative interviewing; experience with quantitative research methods, conducting online surveys
- Experience with data processing and analysis software (, , MAXQDA, SPSS, Qualtrics)
- Experience in the field of ethnography is a plus
- Confident command of German, English and Luxembourgish. French is an asset
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL05967
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 81072 (full time)
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic ;High-quality ;Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour ;A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …