Research Scientist in Education/ Sociology of Education
The University | About us...
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The researcher will be a member of the Luxembourg Centre of Educational Testing (LUCET), a dynamic team of researchers working on different aspects of the educational system of Luxembourg from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The research scientist will support one of the missions of the LUCET, which is the triannual publication of the educational report for Luxembourg (“Bildungsbericht”). The main tasks will involve reviewing and editing, analyzing secondary data on the educational system and communicating these findings to the broader public.
S/he will contribute to the Educational and to the Social Science Research of the Faculty and especially of the LUCET. S/he will attend and present research findings and papers at (inter)national academic and professional conferences, thus contributing to the external visibility of the Research Unit, the Faculty, and the University.
- Provide editorial support for the education report for Luxembourg (together with the LUCET team)
- Revise scientific texts and provide scientifically sound feedback to the authors of the texts
- Collaborate in the development of quantitative and qualitative factsheets for the educational report
- Analyse secondary data on the educational system on policy relevant topics and provide illustrations
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders inside and outside the university
- Conduct and publish research in the area of educational inequality, or other relevant topics
- Participating in and presenting at relevant national and international conferences
- Perform any other tasks within the framework of the position
What we expect from you…
- PhD in educational sciences/ social sciences or equivalent
- Solid research experience in educational contexts including Luxembourg
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Ability to communicate research findings to the broader public
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Very good command of German and/or French as well as English. Luxembourgish is a plus.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Part Time 50.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Internal Title: Research scientist
- Job Reference: UOL06013
How to apply...
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Curriculum Vitae including publication record
- Cover letter
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …